Monday, October 3, 2011

Here it is... my latest allergy baking challenge to date.
  I volunteered to make a birthday cake for a friend who is lactose intolerant, and doesn't eat sugar. o_o
Luckily I have another awesome friend who happened to have the perfect recipe lying about for me to use.
  This recipe makes the thickest batter. Think carrot cake batter is thick? You could make cookies with this stuff! (Which isn't a bad idea really.)
  The baking went without a hitch and the cake came out perfect. Though finding the right frosting to go along presented itself to be a bit of a challenge....
   With all the credit going to mom for finding the recipe I set to making a cream cheese icing.
  Now wait a minute... doesn't cream cheese have dairy? Yes. Yes it does. Little genius me, being to excited about actually finding a sugar free icing recipe I didn't really stop to think about the other more important banned ingredient. Of course when I finally realized my blunder several of the ingredients had already been added to the bowl. So I ended up making it anyway and storing for a later occasion.
  After slight panicking on my part again my amazing mother comes to the rescue and finds yet another recipe. This time, a sugar and dairy free honey-cinnamon glaze. (This stuff is fabulous) Though I must confess I got a little sick of handling so much honey. I'd used up two jars by the time I was finished with everything! 
  So, it all got done and for a third time the mom helps by suggesting I bring the cream cheese icing in a separate container for those who can have dairy. (genius!) I'm very glad I did this. Several people after having it with their cake just spooned it onto their plates to eat on its own!
  I'm quite happy with the way it all turned out. Sadly I don't have any pictures, but for this cake a picture wouldn't have done it justice. The beauty wasn't in the decorating for this one, it was all in the taste.
---
Apple-Honey-Cinnamon Cake (Dairy and Sugar Free)
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 cup of margarine 
2 eggs
2 cups of flour
2 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp of cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 cups of diced apples
3/4 tsp of vanilla

Cream the honey, butter, and eggs. Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mix. Mix in the apples and the vanilla. Bake at 170C for about 20 minutes. 
---
Cream Cheese Icing (Sugar Free)

(This is a thing icing at room temp.)
1 package cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup honey (or less, depends on your sweet tooth)

Blend together in a bowl until creamy smooth.
---
Honey-Cinnamon Glaze (Dairy and Sugar Free)
1 1/2 cups honey
3/4 cup water
1tbsp cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in saucepan. Bring to a boil then remove from heat. Let cool for a few minutes then after poking a few holes in the top of cake with a fork coat it with the glaze using a pastry brush.

Enjoy! =)

(P.S This recipe is also perfect for muffins!)

No comments:

Post a Comment